Yield: 4 shots
- 4 marshmallows, regular size
- 2 ounces any flavor liqueur
- 2 forks
- electric burner (or gas fireplace/burner)
- Turn on your electric burner to red-hot high.
- Stick a fork in a marshmallow, being careful not to pierce the bottom.
- Hold the marshmallow side 2-3 inches over the burner. When it begins to smoke and brown, turn it again. Brown all sides of the marshmallow evenly, excluding the top where the fork is. Use the second fork to hold the marshmallow on while browning the bottom.
- Slide the marshmallow off the fork onto a plate and allow to cool completely. The inside will implode naturally.
- Pour liqueur into the cooled marshmallow and shoot immediately. If you wait too long, it will soak through the marshmallow.
- Eat the marshmallow!
Recipe and images courtesy of The Watering Mouth
Where did you get the name and idea behind Nubian Skin?
Nubian Skin was essentially born out of frustration. I wanted a product that I couldn’t find in shops, so I decided to create it. I knew I couldn’t be the only one who felt the same way. For the name, I wanted something which really spoke to the history and significance of dark skin, so I choice Nubian. I had originally thought of Nubian Nude, but that can be very tricky when it comes to internet searches, ‘Skin’ just worked.
Why did you choose lingerie over other products that didn’t represent women of color like shoes or foundation?
It was something that I personally struggled with and wanted to see, and it was the inspiration that came to me.
Why do you think women of color previously haven’t been recognized by leaders in the undergarment industry?
I’m not sure. It’s a pretty niche industry and it can be quite closed, but there are a lot of niche and boutique brands that are springing up, so maybe it will become more appealing to women of color.
What were you doing prior to starting Nubian Skin?
Before starting Nubian Skin, I worked mainly in the financial services industry, so it’s been quite a change!
Who or what inspires you?
My family. They are wonderful. My mother is an incredible woman, and my father cannot do enough for his family. They are both entrepreneurs, and they’ve set a great example for me.
Please describe the Nubian Skin woman.
The Nubian Skin woman is someone who is comfortable in her own skin. She loves herself and her body and doesn’t see the need to settle for what is mainstream.
What’s your favorite piece from the collection and why?
I wear the Essential T-Shirt Bra almost every day. It’s so comfortable, disappears under clothes and fits perfectly!
Tell us about the shades you offer and how you came up with their names.
We offer four shades: Berry (Darkest), Cinnamon (Medium-dark), Caramel (Medium-light) and Café au Lait (Lightest). The names just kind of popped in my head as I was thinking about the brand. They’re a little cheeky, “The darker the berry…”, “Sweet, sweet cinnamon buns”, etc.
What do you hope to share with the world with your brand?
Firstly, I want to provide a high quality product that women are happy to wear, and I want to give women of color something that is such a basic wardrobe staple, which they previously were not able to have.
What’s next for Nubian Skin?
Our hosiery will launch at the beginning of December, just in time for all those Christmas parties! Then, we’re looking forward to expanding and size and product range. We’d also love to get into department stores. I can’t wait for the day any woman of color walks into a department store and can pick up a pair of Nubian Skin tights or bra.
Thanks again Ade for taking the time to chat with me!
For more information on Nubian Skin or find out how to purchase click here.
Many of you may have already heard about the release of the beauty line Glossier created by Emily Weiss of ITG. This cruelty-free beauty line was created by Emily Weiss to erase that line between makeup and skincare. Glossier currently offers four products: a soothing face mist, priming moisturizer, universal skin salvage and tinted moisturizer that is offered in three different shades.
The products can be purchased as a set or individually. All purchases include stickers and the set includes a complimentary tote bag. Unfortunately, Glossier isn’t offering shipping outside of the US. Bummer right?
Well, what if I told you there’s a way to get your hands on your very own Phase 1 kit for FREE. Are you up for the challenge? Keep scrolling to find out how to win.
Beginning November 1st I will be raffling off the Glossier Phase 1 kit.
To get your hands on this baby you’re going to have to work for it!
You can enter everyday to be considered for the grand prize. A minimum of 25 points are required over the 30 day period to be considered for the grand prize. The person with the most entries at the end of the month wins the raffle.
Giveaway ends on November 22nd may the best man (or woman) win! #getglossier
Kendall Jenner has been killing the game on both the runways during fashion week and the sidewalks with her off-duty looks. Last week, she was spotted at a Knicks game in New York City with Hailey Baldwin and Gigi Hadid. That night Kendall was sporting a mohair blend turtleneck from H&M (sold out), Helmut Lang faux-pocket leather leggings (buy me), Celine booties (unavailable online), and a Celine nano luggage tote (unavailable online).
COPY THIS LOOK
I’ve been talking up soup for the last few weeks and I just haven’t got around to making any of my own. I’ve settled a few times for a crappy bowl of whatever the special was from local restaurants, but I finally got some time to search Pinterest for some awesome recipes to try this season. I ended up narrowing it down to my “Top 5 Bowl-Licking Soup Recipes” because I was getting a little carried away and not to mention hungry! I’ve also added some items below to get your kitchen bowl-licking ready this season.
- BROCCOLI & CHEESE SOUP
- ROASTED TOMATO, GARLIC, & ONION COCONUT SOUP
- CROCKPOT CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
- LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP
- THAI CHICKEN SOUP
If you have any recipes you’d like to share with me don’t hesitate to comment below!
SHOP THIS STORY
If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter you’ve already witnessed my disappointment in this collection. I’m sure I’ll end up buying something, but I won’t be emptying my wallet into H&M as I had intended to all these months leading up to the release on November 6th. However, I would definitely give this collection an A+ for promotional efforts.
Unfortunately, the clothes and accessories didn’t deliver the way I would have hoped for. Personally I think they went overboard with the “WANG” and “AW” logos making appear very cheap and I think it’s a bit too sporty. There’s no versatility in this collection and the prices seem a bit steep for it to be an H&M garment or accessory. There are a few things I have my eye on that I might snag online and I will do a review in a later post.
The Fall is here and it’s time to turn over a new leaf! What better way to do that this season than to welcome home some new decor from Pottery Barn.
Right now they have some amazing promotions going on with up to 20% off for their Fall Decorating Event, up to 60% for their Warehouse Clearance Event and up to 20% off on their accent tables. Below I’ve handpicked some of my favorite items for you to take a look at and maybe even grab some inspiration from. The theme I was going for was very chic and modern. I stuck with very minimal colors like white, black and gray. I even threw in some gold and silver accents to spice things up a bit. Click here and get decorating!
After about a few hours after watching the keynote and complaining about what the new iPhone looked like I was ready to purchase. I think that’s kind of how my fellow Apple cult members cope with a new release too.
I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 online a few days before the release and the estimated delivery was October 7th. I was content waiting until the night before the phone released. I was up all nigh trying to decided if I should wait in line for it or not.
::: DISCLAIMER: I’ve never stood in line for anything in my entire life until last week. :::
So many thoughts were going through my head about waiting on line for this phone overnight. Where I live I didn’t have much to be worried about, but you never know. So, I decided I wouldn’t wait in line for the phone and I fell asleep. Around 8am the morning of the release I sprung out of bed and decided I was determined to get my phone that day.
I got to my local Verizon wireless store around 9am to find less than 10 people outside in a single file line. I was handed a paper to select which phone I wanted, which color and which storage option. Up to this point I still wasn’t sure which one I really wanted. If you haven’t figured this out by now then I’m just going to let you know how indecisive I can be about everything!
Anyway, about an hour and a half later I was in the store ready to purchase my phone. What I forgot to mention was by the time I reached the front of the line I realized my last backup on iCloud was from 2013, the Verizon location I was at didn’t get any of the 6 Plus models and they only had silver and gold 64gb iPhone 6’s left. So, the decision was made for me.
Choosing the color was actually a no brainer, because the silver just seemed so bland. Another side note I never had a white iPhone before and I swore I would never get one, but NEVER SAY NEVER!
Now, I’m in the store getting ready to purchase and there were some technical difficulties canceling that pre-order I mention much earlier. The good thing is we got that all figured out and I was able to get in and out with my phone by 12pm. The only part that really sucked was that the guy at Verizon didn’t switch all of my content over from my 5S.
:::: INSERTS KIM K CRYING FACE ::::
I was upset at first, but I remembered something my mom always says “If you haven’t used it in a year it’s trash.” Which was true regarding the things I remember missing from my phone.
Now, that you’re all caught up on my iPhone 6 extravaganza I figured it would be a good idea to give you my review of the phone in my thoughts and experiences over my first full week of use.
- Wow, this thing is HUGE!
- Where’s the lock screen button? Oh! there it is.
- Wait. There’s a selfie timer?!
- I wonder if I can still text with one hand while holding onto the subway pole.
- They say people with white iPhone’s have more fun….We’ll see about that!
- Where did you get your phone case?
- “What’s new on the phone?” I mean….. it’s bigger.
- I guess we’re sticking to that crappy lighting cable for another year huh?
- “OMG is that the 6 or the 6 Plus?” The 6.
- Can I have my phone back? Thanks.
- Why can’t I delete the U2 album? Biggest joke of 2014 or nah?
- The front facing camera is AMAZING! #Selfie
- Trying to find a reason to use the new reachability feature.
- Why aren’t Moschino phone cases available for the iPhone 6?
- Siri, what song is this?
- The phone actually isn’t that big.
- Maybe I should’ve gone for the 6Plus. Is it too late to change?
- My battery life is still above 80% at 6pm. Even after my social media rounds every hour on the hour since about 9am.
- iPhone’s bending? SUCK IT HATERS!
- Bugs in the software update? Typical.
To be honest with you I can’t stay off of this phone!
Publication: Garage Magazine
Models: Emily DiDonato, Amanda Wellsh, Charlotte Free, Jessica Stam, Carmen Dell’Orefice, Sabrina Ioffreda, Ola Rudnicka, Sam Rollinson, Lindsey Wixson, Cara Delevingne, Jourdan Dunn, Liu Wen, Kid Plotnikova, Jamie Bochert, Dree Hemingway and Kirsten Owen.
Fashion Director: Charlotte Stockdale
Hair: Ashley Javier
Makeup: Anastasia Durasova
Show after show and party after party, don’t burn out before NYFW ends!
Stop by Zappos.com’s Recharge Station at Lincoln Center on September 6th from 10-7pm and September 7th from 2-7pm to get that zap you need to finish out fashion week with a bang! Don’t forget to RSVP here.
You can also check out some of my favorite items from Zappos.com below!
Did your invitation get lost in the mail again this season? Well I’ve got your back! These events aren’t super exclusive, but they will be filled with many different people in the industry like bloggers, editors, makeup artists and manicurists. Wait, it doesn’t stop there! You could score some cool prizes, get a makeover, and even grab a bite to eat for FREE!
You can thank me later, Enjoy!
- What: Barbie Fashion Lounge
- When: Friday September 5th- 11am-4pm and Saturday September 6th- 11am-6pm
- Where: 14th Street and 9th Avenue, North Plaza ~ Meatpacking District
- Freebies: Wifi, Charging Stations and Drinks
- What: Refinery 29 Country Club
- When: Friday September 5th- 2-10pm and Saturday September 6th- 11am-7pm
- Where: 82 Mercer Street ~ New York, NY 10012
- Freebies: Miniature golf, Food and Drinks
- What: Nylon Magazine NYFW High-Speed Blogger Retreat
- When: September 4th and 5th- 12-6pm
- Where:18 9th Avenue ~ Gansevoort Meatpacking
- Freebies: Gifts, Giveaways, Food, Drinks, Hair & Makeup Stations, and Massages
- What: Glamour Magazine’s Glam Street
- When: September 5th-7th 12-7pm
- Where: 410 West 16th Street ~ Chelsea Market
- Freebies: Makeup Applications, Skincare Treatments, Hair Styling and more!
- What: Twelv Magazine Fashion Week Party (*RSVP here*)
- When: Monday September 8th, 9-3am (Vodka Bar 9-10pm)
- Where: Guilded Lily ~ 408 W15th Street
- What: City Mani
- Where/When: TRIUMPH HOTELS: The Cosmopolitan Hotel Tribeca on (Friday, September 5th) The Washington Jefferson Hotel on (Monday, September 8th) and The Gershwin Hotel on (Tuesday, September 9th) between 10am and 2pm
- Freebies: Manicures with Pretty Please polish
- What: Birchbox NYFW Events
- When/Where + Freebies:
- W3LL People: Thursday, September 4th, 1pm – 7:30pm
Touch up your makeup with one of our favorite all-natural brands.
- amika: Friday, September 5th, 4pm – 8pm
Get glam braids and buns courtesy of the high-performance haircare line.
- Temptu: Saturday, September 6th, 12pm – 7:30pm
Polish off your makeup look with the masters of airbrushing.
- Sarah Potempa: Sunday, September 7th, 12pm – 7:30pm
Get celebrity waves with the Sarah Potempa Beach Waver.
- Laura Geller + Fekkai: Tuesday, September 9th, 4pm – 8pm
Make up touch ups with Laura Geller and runway inspired styles by Fekkai.
- Toni & Guy: Wednesday, September 10th, 4pm – 8pm
Get hair touch ups from the on-trend, runway-inspired line.
- MAKE: Thursday, September 11th, 4pm – 8pm
Enjoy touch ups by well-known makeup artists Rafael Pita.
- W3LL People: Thursday, September 4th, 1pm – 7:30pm
- What: MM. LaFleur Donut Week
- When/Where: 8-11am ~ (Monday, 9/8) Flatiron: 23rd Street & Park Avenue South (Tuesday, 9/9) Financial District: Water & Wall Streets
(Wednesday, 9/10) Midtown East: Lexington & 53rd Street
(Thursday, 9/11) Midtown West: Broadway between 50th & 51st Streets
(Friday, 9/12) NoHo: Broadway between Bleecker & Houston
- Freebies: DONUTS!
H&M studio is a high fashion collection by H&M that debuted last February during Paris Fashion Week. Their latest F/W collection that hits select stores and online today features masculine cuts with a feminine edge. Whether it be an aviator jacket over a silky gown, sheer layers under chunky knits, or the draping top over wide leg trousers, the possibilities are truly endless with this collection.
Check out some of my favorite pieces from the collection below. Also don’t forget to head over to hm.com or one of the selected stores to get your hands on a few items before it’s too late!
What are your favorite combinations?
SHOP THIS STORY
The sporty chic look has put backpack back on the map over the last few seasons, making it one of the most coveted items of the season. At first I was on the fence about the accessory because it reminded me so much of grade school. At the time bottomless handbags (totes in particular) were the best thing since Naomi Campbell in the 90s.
Fortunately, the wonderful thing about fashion is that a couple of years down the line designers recreate looks you grew to hate or never were into and turn them into must have items for the season or for the year. So, it’s that time again for backpacks! Check out my top picks below to stay packin’ all season long.
SHOP THIS STORY
Starting today through the August 24th the Gap is running their Style Event. Get 30% off regular priced items by entering the code AUGUST. Receive 40% off regular priced items when you use your GapCard ,BananaCard or Old Navy card. What a great way to jump start your Fall shopping! I’ve already purchased the quilted bomber jacket in the dark grey, but I’m thinking I should also get the lighter color too, I mean you never know! I’d hate to be kicking myself about not purchasing it when it’s sold out. Click here to start shopping!
As we approach the Fall season I’m starting to do the usual “look for the season” soul search. At this time I’m really into a more relaxed menswear inspired silhouette. The sporty chic look has also been an inspiration I’ve tossed around for the Fall. Even though it’s been around for a few seasons its seems to be getting more popular than repulsive. So, while shopping around for some early Fall must-haves I figured I would give you a glimpse of what’s going in my head in terms of Fall 2014. I’ve also included some of my favorite items from one of my go to places to shop, Mytheresa down below, which happens to be offering FREE shipping until August 20th. Happy Shopping!
SHOP THE STORY
Remember back in grade school everything you owned had your name on it and writing your name on everything was the cool thing to do? Well this season it’s personal and designers are giving you a chance to relive your days of personalizing EVERYTHING all over again! In the most stylish and adult way possible of course!
SHOP THIS STORY
Besides the fact that avocados are extremely delicious! Did you know there were tons of beauty benefits that come along with this super fruit? Avocados are high in vitamins such as A,D, and E. These vitamins promote a clearer complexion and are great for sun damage treatment.They are are also loaded with potassium which promotes things like hair growth, hydrated skin, and new skin cell growth. With benefits this good I couldn’t keep them to myself!
Check out some mask recipes below to give your skin and hair the good loving it deserves!
Looking for that perfect guilt free treat this summer? Well I’ve got your back! Innocent Ice Pops are made with real fruits and vegetables and they are also free of the junk you’re so used to eating. The ice pops come in four flavors: Tropicarrot, Green Juice, Kale Daddy, and Sweet Beets. As of right now Innocent Pops can only be found in select locations in New York and New Jersey. To find out more about Innocent Pops and where to purchase click here.
Stila Cosmetics released their Fall product line yesterday featuring three new products, new formulas and new packaging with the same great quality!
The Mile High mascara is one of the most coveted items of the collection. The patented V-Shaped bristles glide effortlessly from root to tip while providing length, lift and volume to your lashes. Talk about all in one!You can purchase your Mile High Mascara here!
The “Eyes Are The Window” eyeshadow palette is for creating those glam au naturel looks this fall. The palette features 12 luxurious shades created to bring that inner beauty.You can purchase a Eyes Are the Window eyeshadow palette here!
The last product I want to share with you guys is the Magnificent Metals lip gloss. This product is what I call a hybrid lip color. By infusing moisture properties of conditioner and micro-fine pearls leaving your lips with a radiant satin shimmer finish. Perfect for the those who love to add a little shimmer to their matte lipstick or just want to add a little luxe to their everyday makeup look. You can purchase the Magnificent Metals lip glosses here!
Yield: Serves 9
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- Oil, for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 9 scoops dulce de leche ice cream
- Make the churro cookies: Sift together the flour and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the water, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and salt to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and once boiling, add in the flour mixture, and stir quickly. The mixture will be thick, but continue to stir it until the flour is incorporated and it forms a rough, shaggy ball of dough.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed and add eggs one at a time until the dough is combined and smooth.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment or wax paper. Fit a pastry bag with a #821 piping tip, and fill bag with churro dough. Pipe the dough into 3-inch circles, starting at the center of the circle and working outward in a spiral pattern. Keep the tip close to the baking sheet so the dough is thin. You should get about 18-20 circles from one batch. Place baking sheets in the freezer for at least 10 minutes to set and chill the dough.
- While the churros are freezing, heat the oil for frying. Add oil to a large skillet or deep fryer so that it’s at least 2 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the granulated sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Fry 2-3 churros at a time, turning them over occasionally so they brown evenly. When they are finished they will be slightly puffed and golden brown on both sides. Transfer them to the paper-towel-lined baking sheet using a slotted spoon or spatula to let the oil drain. Quickly toss them in the cinnamon sugar mixture while they are still warm. Continue working in small batches until all of the churros are fried.
- Make the churro ice cream sandwiches: Take one churro, top with a scoop of ice cream, and place another churro on top. Gently press together to adhere the cookies to the ice cream. Serve immediately, or freeze for later.
As big as my bags usually are I’m never really equipped enough for a fashion emergency. There are tons of pre-made fashion emergency kits I could get my hands on to just throw in my bag, but I figured why not make it a bit more personal. The thing about buying the “Minimergency” kits vs doing it yourself is that you can pick and choose what’s important or not to have in your your bag. So what I did for you is create a list of things you could possibly toss in your personalized “Minimergency” kit.
First things first is to purchase a cute little makeup bag to store all your goodies.
Now here’s a list of things of items I think would be essential to every fashion emergency kit, but like I mentioned before you know what’s best for you to carry around.
- Folding brush/comb
- Compact mirror
- Hair spray
- Dry shampoo
- Hair ties/scrunchies
- Bobby pins
- Earring backs
- Hand lotion/cream
- Nail clipper
- Nail file
- Nail polish remover pads
- Clear nail polish
- Mending kit
- Safety pins
- Double sided tape
- Lint remover
- Static remover
- Breather freshener/gum
- Lip balm
- Dental floss
- Pain reliever
- Deodorant towelettes
- Blotting tissues
- Blister balm
- Foot petals
- Roll-on perfume
- Cheek/lip stain
Did I forget anything? If so please leave a comment below!
SHOP THE STORY
- 2 boxes (family size) Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 18 oz (or so) jar hot fudge sauce/ice cream topping
- 6 oz white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 Heath Bars, roughly chopped
- 2 cups mini (the tiny ones that come unwrapped in a bag) peanut butter cups
- 2 cups chocolate covered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brownie mixes, eggs, oil, water, and hot fudge sauce. You may need to heat the fudge for 30 seconds or so to soften it (you do NOT need it hot and pourable, just soft enough to spoon it out).
- Mix ingredients with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Fold in white chocolate, Heath Bars, peanut butter cups and chocolate covered almonds.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for about 30 -40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center pulls out fudgy crumbs but NOT raw batter.
- Remove pan to cool on a rack. For easier cutting, refrigerate until completely chilled, then peel off foil and cut into squares.
*Optional: Finish off with a scoop of your favorite ice cream right on top, enjoy!
Courtesy of: Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Some of you are probably wondering why there wasn’t a gift guide for Mother’ Day. Well there’s two reasons.
Hands down Mother’s Day is advertised much more than Father’s Day for obvious reasons. I was reading an article somewhere that said people tend to spend less on Father’s Day and I thought to myself maybe it’s because they don’t know what to get their fathers (or the father figures in their lives). Which brings me to the second reason for putting this post together.
I didn’t really think of the idea until recently and I’ve also noticed the influx in men that actually read my site. Since most of my content is primarily driven toward women I figured this would be the perfect time to test the waters with mens content. Either way I hope you enjoy my Father’s Day gift guide!
Please let me know below if you would like to see more posts like this in the future. Also for any men reading please feel free to let me know if you would like to see more mens content as well. Before I forget Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers including all the fathers to be!
Do you ever get a random breakout and can’t pinpoint the reason why it happened so that you can stop it from reoccurring?
Well you’ve come to the right place! Discover some of the common reasons why you’re breaking out and how to prevent them from reoccurring.
- Reason No.1 – Your Diet
You know what they say “you are what you eat!”
Solution: By eliminating things like dairy, caffeine, peanuts, seaweed, sugar, and soy from your diet could lead you to clearer skin.
- Reason No. 2 – Your Phone
First things first, your phone collects the oil and dirt from your skin every time you hold your phone up to your cheek (aka pimple central).
Solution: Try to wipe your phone off with facial cleansing wipes as often as you can. You could also opt for the handsfree headset or using the speakerphone option on your phone to eliminate pesky breakouts.
- Reason No. 3 – Your Shampoo and Conditioner
There’s a huge misconception about not washing your face after washing your hair in the shower and washing your face and body while letting the conditioner soak into your hair. Well I’m here to tell you that both practices should be stopped immediately!
What leaves your hair feeling and looking great has an adverse effect on your skin, by clogging your pores and leaves to those unwanted breakouts.
Solution: Wash your face and body after shampooing and conditioning your locks.
- Reason No. 4 – Your Workout
We’re all striving for that natural dewy glow, but unfortunately sweat isn’t the solution it’s actually the problem.
Solution: After working out make sure to wash your face immediately. Not in a position to give your face the TLC it needs right after working out? Then opt for a facial cleansing wipe containing salicylic acid to tie you over until you get home.
- Reason No. 5 – Your Makeup Brushes
I’m going to put it this way just as you wash your hair, body, clothes, sheets, and towels your makeup brushes are NO different. Using dirty brushes on your skin not only cause breakouts, but the also contaminate your makeup.
TIP: Synthetic brushes hold less bacteria than brushes made of animal hair.
Solution: Clean your makeup brushes once a week. Brushes used around the eyes can be cleaned once a month. I recommend using baby shampoo with four parts water because using regular soap and water could cause damage to your brushes especially if they’re made of natural hair.
- Reason No. 6: Your Hands
We all have this gross habit of touching our faces and it’s so bad that we even do it without even realizing it. By touching your face you’re introducing it to new bacteria which causes even more breakouts.
Solution: Try to gross yourself out about all the things you’ve touched all day like money or door handles before thinking about touching your face. I guarantee you’ll think twice about laying even a finger anywhere near that gorgeous face of yours!
You’re now one stop closer to clearer skin! If you have any other solutions you’d like to share or any reasons you’d like solutions to please comment below.
Yield: 4 Large Patties
- 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, short grain (the stickier the better)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp salt-free chili spice powder (blend)
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped kale
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 link (about 1/3 cup) of Spicy Vegan Sausage, diced (optional)
- *Field Roast or Tofurky brands
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fine black pepper to taste
*”salt-free chili powder” contained black pepper, paprika, onion, garlic, ground chili, turmeric and more.
- roasted corn
- chopped peanuts
- chopped bell pepper
- ground flax seeds
- diced cooked sweet potato
- drizzle of pumpkin seed oil
- my fave… diced jalapeño and/or cayenne for more HEAT
For burger assembly
- Sprouted Wheat Buns
- spicy mustard and chipotle vegan mayo (a dash of chipotle powder to regular vegan mayo)
- tomato + onion + lettuce +sprouts
- avocado tossed in lemon juice and pepper
- Add your cooked brown rice and drained kidney beans to a large mixing bowl. With a large fork, mash the kidney beans. Mash at least 60-75% of the beans to create a pasty texture.
- Toss in all the remaining ingredients – add the nutritional yeast one teaspoon at a time and use to thicken as needed. It also adds a lot of savory cheesy flavor.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of safflower oil in a large sauté pan.
- Shape patties. You should get about 4 large patties from this recipe.
- Add patties to sizzling hot oil. Allow patties to absorb some of the oil then quickly flip so that each side gets a thin layer of oil for the sauté process.
- Cook about 3 minutes on each side. You want the burgers to be well-browned, but not burnt. I like to finish my burgers in the oven by baking at 350 for about ten minutes – this really crisps the edges up nicely. This step is optional though.
- Remove from oven or sauté pan and place on a plate until ready to assemble burgers.
No Fry Method! Yes, you could absolutely just bake these burgers in the oven. I’d suggest 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Or do a combo method of a quick sauté then finish in the oven to bake.
Assemble with: green leaf lettuce, sprouts, avocado, chipotle vegan mayo, spicy mustard, tomato, dash of pepper, and sprouted wheat buns. Serve warm.
Courtesy of: Lunch Box Bunch
Memorial Day weekend is finally here and we’ve all been dying to get a piece of the heat. While you’re out this weekend getting your tan on or BBQ hopping remember:
SPF IS YOUR FRIEND!
Otherwise you will be putting your skin and hair at risk for a host of other problems such as dryness, wrinkles, brown spots, scaly skin, and skin cancer.
Below are a few suggested products for your hair, skin and lips that will protect you from sun damage. Allowing you to soak in the sun all summer long!
SHOP THE STORY
Tomorrow is Memorial Day which officially makes it socially acceptable to wear all your bright whites. With the weather warming up it would be a good idea to trade in your little black dress for a little white dress this season.
Wether you’re attending a graduation, a casual bride to be, or trying find a dress that won’t show up the bride at an upcoming wedding a little white dress will be one of the best investments you make all season.
SHOP THIS STORY
Yield: 12 Shots
For the cookies:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
For the cookie shots:
- 1 cup dark-chocolate candy melts
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the molds of a popover pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and brown and granulated sugars. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, and mix until completely incorporated. Gradually add the flour and salt, and mix until completely incorporated. Add the mini chocolate chips, and mix together until evenly distributed. The dough should be a little crumbly at this point.
- Form the cookie shots inside the molds, making the walls of the cookie shot about 1/4 inch thick. Chill for 20 to 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cookies just start to brown. Remove from the oven, and let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate candy melts, and then pour the melted chocolate into the well of each cookie. Let it sit for a minute, and then pour the excess chocolate back into the pan. Chill cookie shots until the chocolate has set.
- Mix together milk and vanilla extract, and serve inside each cookie shot.
*For video directions click here.
Courtesy of Pop Sugar
Can we just pretend like Argan oil never happened? The popularity behind coconut oil is much more than hype. Turns out that you can replace almost everything with coconut oil making the benefits endless! Below is a list of everyday beauty products that can be replaced with coconut oil. Here’s to saving time and tons of money!
Yield: 18 servings
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup ground, toasted macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Put a kettle of water on the stove to boil. Line a muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- When the water comes to a boil, fill a cake pan or baking dish about halfway up the sides with boiling water. Place pan or dish on the bottom rack in your oven. This will create a moist environment for baking the cheesecakes.
- Prepare the crust: Whisk crumbs, ground nuts and sugar together in a bowl. Add melted butter and mix with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand. Press 1 tablespoon of crumb mixture into the bottom of each baking cup. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: Place cream cheese in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add the egg yolks, one at a time, until well combined. Add condensed milk, sugar and Key lime juice and continue mixing until completely blended. The batter should be thick and velvety.
- Fill each baking cup with the cheesecake batter, and place on the middle rack of your oven. Bake for approximately 23-25 minutes, until cheesecakes are set, but still slightly jiggly in the center – like Jell-O. Remove cakes from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool. When cooled to room temperature, chill cheesecakes in the fridge for several hours to firm up.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh whipped cream, if desired.
Courtesy of Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy
How did fake socialite come about?
Fake Socialite is a term that a good friend of mine and I came up with a few years back, when we first entered what’s known in New York as “The Scene”. I started the brand officially in the Summer of 2013. Long story short, last summer I realized how many people I was inspiring without even knowing it.
What is a fake socialite?
In our generation it’s easy to be considered famous or popular in a short amount of time. Even though it’s a great feeling to be loved and admired, not everyone that I have come encountered with has taking the humility pill. These people are known as Fake Socialites BUT, this term is universal and goes beyond New York City. No matter where you live you know someone who you would consider a fake socialite.
What message are you trying to send to people through your line?
The message that I’am trying to send to people through Fake Socialite NYC is is that the term “Fake Socialite” is not a negative term but more as a reminder to people to remain humble and use their voice for good. It’s important that people know they should use they’re pedestal of popularity as a platform to encourage and inspire people. People need to know that they’re presence is more valued than you know.
Anyone you would like to collaborate with?
There are so many people I would love to collaborate with but, i’m also very aware that because FSNYC is a new brand, it’s important that I make sure the identity is fully developed and noticed. Too many people collaborate before they’ve even set a tone for themselves.
What can we expect from Fake Socialite in 2014?
In 2014 you can expect more great apparel, more great visuals and I just hope to continue inspiring people.
For more information on Fake Socialite or how to purchase please click here.