Prep Time: 1hr 5mins
Cook Time: 50mins
Total time: 1hr 55mins
Yield: 8 buckles
- 5 green apples, skin on and chopped
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
*Special equipment: 8 mini cast-iron skillets or ramekins
- In a saucepan, combine the apples, 1 stick of the butter, 1 cup of the sugar, the vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook until the apples become soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, remaining 1 cup sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Then add the milk and mix until all of the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each skillet or ramekin. Place the skillets on a cookie sheet and heat them in the oven until the butter begins to bubble, about 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cookie sheet with the skillets, and spoon the batter until just below the rims (about half full if using a ramekin). Immediately spoon the apple mixture over the top of the batter. Place in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Goat Cheese Ice Cream
Prep Time: 40mins
Inactive Prep: 30mins
Cook Time: 20mins
Total time: 1hr 30mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups heaving whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
*Special equipment: Ice cream maker
- Combine the goat cheese with the corn syrup in a mixing bowl.
- Heat the cream and milk, stirring continuously, in a saucepan until nearly boiling and small bubbles form at the edge of the bowl, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar into a separate mixing bowl until pale yellow, 4 to 5 minutes. Add a quarter of the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture to temper it. Then add the egg mixture to the cream mixture in the saucepan. Heat the mixture over low heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Pass through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, and then place the bowl into an ice bath until cool, at least 30 minutes or overnight. Add the goat cheese mixture and stir to combine, refrigerate until cooled completely. Add to an ice cream maker and prepare according to the manufacturer’s instructions.