Yield: 4 Large Patties
- 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, short grain (the stickier the better)
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp salt-free chili spice powder (blend)
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped kale
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 link (about 1/3 cup) of Spicy Vegan Sausage, diced (optional)
- *Field Roast or Tofurky brands
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fine black pepper to taste
*”salt-free chili powder” contained black pepper, paprika, onion, garlic, ground chili, turmeric and more.
- roasted corn
- chopped peanuts
- chopped bell pepper
- ground flax seeds
- diced cooked sweet potato
- drizzle of pumpkin seed oil
- my fave… diced jalapeño and/or cayenne for more HEAT
For burger assembly
- Sprouted Wheat Buns
- spicy mustard and chipotle vegan mayo (a dash of chipotle powder to regular vegan mayo)
- tomato + onion + lettuce +sprouts
- avocado tossed in lemon juice and pepper
- Add your cooked brown rice and drained kidney beans to a large mixing bowl. With a large fork, mash the kidney beans. Mash at least 60-75% of the beans to create a pasty texture.
- Toss in all the remaining ingredients – add the nutritional yeast one teaspoon at a time and use to thicken as needed. It also adds a lot of savory cheesy flavor.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of safflower oil in a large sauté pan.
- Shape patties. You should get about 4 large patties from this recipe.
- Add patties to sizzling hot oil. Allow patties to absorb some of the oil then quickly flip so that each side gets a thin layer of oil for the sauté process.
- Cook about 3 minutes on each side. You want the burgers to be well-browned, but not burnt. I like to finish my burgers in the oven by baking at 350 for about ten minutes – this really crisps the edges up nicely. This step is optional though.
- Remove from oven or sauté pan and place on a plate until ready to assemble burgers.
No Fry Method! Yes, you could absolutely just bake these burgers in the oven. I’d suggest 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Or do a combo method of a quick sauté then finish in the oven to bake.
Assemble with: green leaf lettuce, sprouts, avocado, chipotle vegan mayo, spicy mustard, tomato, dash of pepper, and sprouted wheat buns. Serve warm.
Courtesy of: Lunch Box Bunch