- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) Rotel diced tomatoes and jalapenos
- 1 package (10 ounce) frozen corn
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (10 ounce) Enchilada sauce
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
*Equipment: slow-cooker (crockpot)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and ½ cup milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- In a slow cooker combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of the mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the enchilada sauce and chicken broth mixture . Gradually whisk in remaining milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover; cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and cut or shred into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken back into the soup. Top with cheese and serve. The soup can also be topped with avocado, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips.
Recipe courtesy of So Tasty, So Yummy
Singer-songwriter Kelis is turning up the heat in the kitchen. On her new television series titled ‘Sweet and Saucy’ that aired on The Cooking Channel on February 26th. In the first episode Kelis is working on developing a marketing strategy for her new album titled “Food”. Then it goes on to show her shopping at a local market later that day to grab a few items for a dinner she was preparing for her friends. Some of the dishes featured include jerk ribs, farro salad, and apple buckle. No word yet on when the second episode will air, but I’m loving this chef side of Kelis’ career just as much as her music side.
Below are pictures of the mouthwatering dishes that were prepared in the first episode. Head over to the recipes section to whip these tasty dishes up yourself. Also if you’re intrested in watching the first episode of ‘Sweet and Saucy’ click here.